Perstor Disk Drive Controllers

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Wed Mar 14 05:47:02 AEST 1990

In article <24 at psmsd.UUCP> pmartin at psmsd.UUCP (Paul Martin) writes:

|                                                      The only caution I
| have is make sure that your case for the drive has good ventilation.
| The perstor will cause your drive to get hotter than normal thus causing
| a failure.  This is because the drive spins faster under the perstor.

  Trust me, that's not how it works. Any form of RLL does not "make the
drive spin faster" not does it "put the bits closer together." It gets
compression by putting the bits farther apart and measuring the distance
between them more closely.

  A drive which is marginal MFM may be unusable RLL when it gets a
little hotter than normal, but NOT because it's spinning faster. The
drive spins even with no controller at all.
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX