SCO stopping enhancements for Xenix?

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Tue Mar 6 12:02:56 AEST 1990

  The thing which made me choose Xenix for home and work was
reliability and features. SCO UNIX does not seem to have an advantage
in those areas when compared to vendors who have been selling UNIX for
years. If you need the security features it's the only game in town,
but I have yet to see NFS for Xenix or UNIX, and the "controlled
release X-windows" is slow and doesn't support even the standard higher
VGA resolutions. We were told that we would get an update when it was
ready, and we haven't, so I assume either it isn't shipping or they are
sending copies to new order paying customers first.

  The good news is that the SCO UNIX development set will run on ix386
and ESIX just fine, and give cross compilation to DOS and OS/2. The
ESIX X I saw wasn't any faster than SCO, but it was a hell of a lot
cheaper.

  If the standard IBM VGA and all of the register compatibles will
support 800x600 (even if IBM doesn't say anything about it) it would be
nice to have it in the X drivers.

  I will run Xenix as long as I can get support on those machines which
I personally use and control, but I am evaluating all versions of UNIX
available for business use. After looking at the documentation for all
versions, I still feel that SCO has the best.
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX