SCO stopping enhancements for Xenix?

Bill Mahoney bill at zycor.UUCP
Wed Mar 7 01:14:56 AEST 1990

In article <6734 at cps3xx.UUCP> usenet at cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes:
>From article <5118 at questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG>, by jeff at hobbes.C2S.MN.ORG (Jeff Holmes):
>> In article <1314 at polari.UUCP> corwin at polari.UUCP (Don Glover) writes:
>> 	This makes me VERY angry.
>
>If you bought SCO Xenix just 4 months ago and you're already thinking of
>upgrading to SCO UNIX, it's your own fault for not thinking ahead back
>then and simply buying SCO UNIX. It was shipping then.....

This is a joke, right? If SCO is wanting to push UNIX, and it "makes
good business sense" to drop Xenix, they could have handled this MUCH
better.

>Overall, it makes good business sense for SCO to drop Xenix. They won't
>have the overhead of supporting double the development staff to make a
>product to compete against their own other product.

I agree. So they should offer a $800 (or something) update path for
those of us who have pumped $ into them for years. If they want all of
their customers to switch over, making a new product that is MORE
expensive is hardly the best way (unless you're IBM, and their rules
don't apply anywhere but at IBM).

>Yes, it sucks that SCO is moving in a direction of orphaning home
>hackers,

Some of us might resent that...

--
Bill Mahoney			//STEPLIB  DD DSN=SYS2.LINKLIB,DSP=SHR
bill at zycor.UUCP			//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=A