any one use the exclan(sp)

Mark J. DeFilippis mark at promark.UUCP
Wed Mar 21 12:05:57 AEST 1990

In article <212 at wyn386.mi.org>, danielw at wyn386.mi.org (Daniel Wynalda) writes:

> We use Xenix-net with Excelan hardware between two 386 boxes running Xenix
> and 1 DOS 286.  The file transfer speeds seem to be about the speed
> of a floppy drive.  The previous comment mentions looking at NFS.  There
>
> Because the ENTIRE FILESYSTEM of the remote computer is on your system,
> you can access all of the devices etc as well.   For example, I use

You say the "ENTIRE FILESYSTEM".  I have a question for you.  If I have
a DBMS physically on one machine, can I run an application against the
database on the remote machine?  Assuming I have a way to tell the DBMS
what the path to the DBMS is.

For example, INFORMIX-ESQL/C.  If I specify on the local machine in an
environment, DBPATH=/u/whatever, will the application work if I
specify DBPATH=machine!/u/whatever?  Anyone know the answer to this?

What kind of performance degradation am I looking at?  I would think
a DBMS would not care where the data is comming from, and the request would
be mapped to the device driverat the kernel level where the tcp/ip stuff-ola
is happening?

--
Mark J. DeFilippis
SA @ Department of Mathematics and Computer Science