any one use the exclan(sp)

Ron Kuris ron at rdk386.uucp
Wed Mar 21 11:20:11 AEST 1990

In article <248 at pride386.UUCP> terry at pride386.UUCP (Terry Lyons) writes:
>Maybe I'm asking the wrong questions
>is ANYONE using the exclan(sp) setup that sco pushes as xenix net?
>would like to create a distributed file system (with 2+ computers)
>I am using sco xenix 2.3.0
>I have gotten some suggestions as to changing to AT&T's, if I must I must but
>would like to stay with pc clones (386 486 286 )
>if no one answers this time I guess I'll have to take the sales dept's word
>for it ( last time I did that I became the owner of a TRS80 mdl III ).
>opinions PLEASE
>terry

Excellan(sp?) is horrible!  Trying to get mail to go through a machine like
is nearly impossible.  Problems I had were:

(1) Performance for a 'connect' is horrible.  They had an 8 processor
sequent on the other side and it still takes 10+ seconds to connect.

(2) rlogin equivalency doesn't work at all, regardless of your .rhosts files.

(3) There is no sendmail; instead, a kludgy smtp.config file which doesn't
have enough of the RFC's built into it.  Example:  Comments are treated
incorrectly in From: and To: lines.

(4) Due to the architecture, its nearly impossible to install something like
smail on top of this system.

(5) The front end 'mail' software they provide doesn't even understand
'foo at bar'.

All in all, I would much rather work with the Lachman TCP/IP stuff.  The
beta version I saw had fewer bugs (AND you get sendmail).

| {unify|{sactoh0!siva}}!rdk386!ron | o o |
| Cut this out and present it to me |  -  |
| for a FREE $20.00 bill!  Expires  | awk |
| upon presentation.                |     |
--