Korn shell availability?

Karl Denninger karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Tue Mar 27 23:55:47 AEST 1990

In article <1118 at chinacat.Unicom.COM> chip at chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
>nvk at ddsw1.MCS.COM (Norman Kohn) writes:
>>chip at chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
>>>Aspen Technologies has one.  I got it.  [summary: I'm sorry I did.]
>>ksh was part of the last microport 386 unix, and was available through
>>their bbs to registered users.
>
>There are probably licensing problems going that way.

Actually not under some circumstances.  We have a Microbug 386 license,
and since it included ksh, we just loaded that one file off the distribution
media.  No trouble at all, and it's >not< stolen that way.  Perfectly legal.
It's the only Microport software we still use :-)  Should the lawyers come a
knocking, we simply show them original Microport distribution media and
manuals; that ought to do the job :-)

That >might< work for the 286 stuff; I don't know how good I386's emulator
is for 80286 COFF binaries (or if there even is one).  Microport did
distribute ksh for both systems.....

The only drawback is that it is rumored to not have "emacs" mode, but that
doesn't matter to me since I really only want "vi" mode anyway for history
editing :-)

>As John Temples <jtw!john at uunet.uu.net> pointed out to me in mail, MKS
>has one which is bundled with nawk and crypt.  It sounds like it's a tad
>over $100 for the "Trilogy".  I haven't used it, but I'm familiar with their
>"Toolkit" package, and it is a delight.  It's probably worth checking into.

That might be a good option... be warned, though, that the MSDOS version of
vi has some interesting "ideas" about certain commands and circumstances
-- like ":r" always reads in at the end of the buffer, regardless of where
the "current" pointer is!

--
Karl Denninger (karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 566-8911], Voice: [+1 708 566-8910]