ESIX vs. SCO Xenix

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Sun Mar 18 08:44:03 AEST 1990

In article <228 at bradf.UUCP> brad at bradf.UUCP (Bradley W. Fisher) writes:

| There is one aspect of the *NIX wars that I haven't seen discussed
| yet ... one that I consider to be of the utmost importance ...
| how long does it take to back/restore from tape? So far comparing
| SCO, Altos, NCR, and Interacive , SCO wins hands down! Typically,
| 80 megabytes will stream to tape in about 40 minutes under SCO with
| a standard Wangtek 5099EN tape drive and PC-36 controller.

  I see about 4MB/min overall throughput for backup with SCO. My
definition of overall is from the time my butt hits the chair until I
walk away, so the actual data transfer rate is a good bit better.
However, I do note that on the few occasions when I've had to restore a
backup, the speed is not very good.

  I use dump for most backups, occasionally cpio running through bundle
to improve the performance.
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX