doscp problem

Bill Vermillion bill at bilver.UUCP
Thu Mar 22 11:57:03 AEST 1990

In article <459 at memqa.uucp> qexal31 at memqa.uucp writes:

>Here is my problem, I am running SCO Xenix 2.3.2 with 60 megs for Xenix and
>20 megs for DOS. While under Xenix I am trying to copy several (144) files
>from the DOS partition using doscp. Here is the command I use:
>             doscp c:clips/exe/*.* *.*
>I would think this command would copy all files in the exe directory to the
>current Xenix directory, but I get an error message like: can't find *.*
> Now I can do a dosls c:clips/exe and get a directory listing and I can copy
>1 file at a time but I can't seem to do a wildcard copy. Am I missing something
>here?

Yes - you are missing something here.  The "notes" section of the manual that
says "It is not possible to refer to DOS directories with wild card
specifications. .... "  It's documented and doscp won't do it.

And also, you don't want the trailing *.*, you want . as the target directory.

>      I can't find any more than the basic 'how to use it' in the manuals so no
>help there. If I can't use wildcards with doscp then I had an idea but am not
>sure how to do it: do a dosls c:clips/exe >> files then somehow via a clever
>shell program, cat the file and send the output to doscp to copy each file
>over 1 at a time. Sound reasonable? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Well I don't know how clever this is, but Lee Penn at DLP in Cinncinnati wrote
this and says to pass it around.

---------
ii=1
cat << !

**** Recursive MSDOS to XENIX doscp command *******************************
       DLP Technologies Inc.
This command copies all files from a dos directory to the current
Xenix working directory.  The file names are converted from uppercase
coming drom DOS to lower casw when they are in the Xenix directory.

!
echo "Please enter full dos directory name includind drive \c"
read dosdir
echo
for arg in `dosls $dosdir | tr [A-Z] [a-z]`
   do
   echo $ii "doscp $dosdir/$arg  ."
   doscp  $dosdir/$arg  .
   ii="`expr $ii + 1`"