UUCP performance under SCO Xenix 2.2.1

Klaus Kleemann klaus at mt1hh.UUCP
Wed Mar 7 01:39:54 AEST 1990

>From article <566 at sixhub.UUCP>, by davidsen at sixhub.UUCP (Wm E. Davidsen Jr):
> In article <18051 at rpp386.cactus.org> deano at rpp386.UUCP (Dean Carpenter) writes:
> | I'm running SCO Xenix 2.2.1 on an IBM AT (8MHz) with a Hayes 2400 V series
> | modem.  I've noticed some pretty poor performance with uucp at 2400 baud,
> | namely about 160 cps.  At 1200 I'm getting about 110 cps though.  The modem
> | is hung off an IBM 0-12meg card, which has serial and parallel ports on
> | the card.  Shouldn't I be getting about 220 cps or so ?
>
>   You have to set your windows to seven instead of three, which is
> default. Check the manual.

I can't find anything about windowsize in the Xenix 2.2.1 manual.

But here's a solution: (I fetched it from a local newsgroup)
---
Date: 29 Aug 89 13:23:49 GMT

standard uucico:	Address		before		after
	Offset:		19522
	Address:	63:19362/3	0x3b0		0xnnb0

Entsprechend fuer den uucico aus dem International Supplement R1.0:
(appropriate for the   ... )
	Offset:		19628
	Address:	63:19468/9	0x3b0		0xnnb0

(offset for lseek/write, address for adb)

	% adb -w uucico
	* $d
	* 63:19362?x
	63.:19362.:	0x3b0
	* 63:19362?w 0x7b0
	* $q

(Don't forget, to backup your original uucp...)
---
I made this patch several months ago without any trouble since yet.

By the way another question:
I want to reduce the timeout delay in case of an uucp-protocol error
due to linedistortions. (Sorry, no MNPx available yet)
After each transmissionerror the line is inactive for over 20
seconds. Does anyone know a similar patch like the above one for
this purpose?

regards, Klaus
Klaus Kleemann                       ][  ampr  : db2hk at db0hb.ampr.org
TU-Hamburg-Harburg, Meerestechnik I  ][  privat: klaus at ccsq.UUCP
Elbchaussee 35, 2000 Hamburg 50      ][  dienst: klaus at mt1hh.mt1.tu-harburg.de
Tel. +49 40 3807-2914                ][  dnet  : mt1-kkl at tuhhco.tu-harburg.de
Klaus Kleemann                       ][  ampr  : db2hk at db0hb.ampr.org
TU-Hamburg-Harburg, Meerestechnik I  ][  privat: klaus at ccsq.UUCP
Elbchaussee 35, 2000 Hamburg 50      ][  dienst: klaus at mt1hh.mt1.tu-harburg.de
Tel. +49 40 3807-2914                ][  dnet  : mt1-kkl at tuhhco.tu-harburg.de