problems with ungetty

Bill Blue bblue at crash.cts.com
Mon Sep 3 03:55:07 AEST 1990

In article <197 at n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US> wht at n4hgf.UUCP (Warren Tucker) writes:
>In article <111 at mnopltd.UUCP> gatech!stiatl!mnopltd!neal writes:
>>
>>->We are running XENIX System V and are having extensive problems with out
>>->dial-in/dial-out port also.
>>->We have a line in Devices that looks like:
>>->ACU tty3A - 1200-2400 /usr/lib/uucp/dialHA24
>>->- modem not returned to ATS0=1 (won't autoanswer)
>>->- getty won't respond after connection
>>
>>I can only commiserate.
>
>Make sure the tty is labelled a "dialup" in
>/etc/ttytype.  When getty starts on a line with a tty
>of type "dialup", it examines the Devices file to find
>the dialer: if the dialer is a program, it runs it with
>the -h switch before starting getty; if it is a Dialers
>entry, say "hayes24", it runs the Dialers script,
>prepending "&", which would be "&hayes24" in this
>example.

I've never found this to matter.  The only thing that seems to matter
is that the modem control port (A versus a) appear in Devices.  And
if there is also a Direct entry in Devices for the non-modem control
version of the port, it must appear AFTER the modem control entry.
So

ACU tty3A - 1200-2400 dialHA24
Direct tty3a - 1200-2400 direct

will work correctly.  But if the lines above were reversed, the modem
would not be turned around after the call.  I have four two-way ports
defined on crash, and only one of them has 'dialup' in /etc/ttytype
(only because it never got changed to anything else).  All of them
behave identically.  Can anyone at SCO say what the keyword 'dialup'
is really supposed to do, if anything?

I'm also assuming that tty3[Aa] on the original poster's machine is
a legitimate two-way serial port, since it isn't normally part of Xenix.

--Bill Blue