"Linking" under UNIX

WMartin at office-3 WMartin at office-3
Wed Aug 31 06:56:00 AEST 1983

From:  Will Martin <WMartin at office-3>

Hi!

In TENEX, there is a handy feature whereby a user at one terminal
can request a "link" to another user's job.  If this is not
refused, each terminal displays the system output directed to
either one.  This is handy for training and jointly displaying
the same data in two different sites.

Is there a simple way to do this under UNIX, so that, for the
remainder of a session or until it is terminated, all the output
going to my terminal is simultaneously directed to a number of
other terminals?  We are thinking about using this for
teleconferencing, and would want eight or so jobs linked
together, so that one user is the controller, and determines
what the others will see.

I have thought about redirecting output to multiple devices using
a tee command with the device name files.  Is this the best way
to do this (assuming it would work in the first place)?  We would
have to set up a little shell script to replace "cat" with some
term which incorporated all the redirection, but that shouldn't
be a problem.

I'd prefer something that would be transparent after starting it
up, though, if it were possible.  Any advice?

Regards, Will Martin