argc[argv]

vmicro1%ucbtopaz.CC%berkeley at sri-unix.UUCP vmicro1%ucbtopaz.CC%berkeley at sri-unix.UUCP
Sun Dec 18 07:06:39 AEST 1983

ve any of the C reference manuals around at the moment but I
	know this is in there.

...You are right, of course. VAX11C departs from the UNIX philosophy of
keeping the C compiler a compiler only; that is, it includes stuff like
cross-referencing and portability checking (all optional) as well as
(gottenu!) making nice listings. I suspect that is barfs on 1[x] because
of cross-referencing confusion, or some such.
	This is mostly moot, of course: do you know any particular
reason why anyone would WANT to use 1[x]?
	Incidentally, VAX11C has by far the best error handling I have
ever seen in a C compiler, including attempting to "do what the programmer
thinks". For example, it will attempt to insert missing ; } or ) so as
to continue compiling. Pretty good accuracy. It is also fast; as far
as I can tell, it is a three-pass (rather than the usual four-pass)
compiler, not generating human-readable machine language (unless
specifically requested to). It adds a few strange things to establish
mixed-language capabilities, maintaining consistancy with other VMS
compilers (for example, equates in Macro programs can be accessed);
however, it is all optional, and (so far) any Unix C program that does
not use extremely Unix-specific calls (and I mean extremely; most of the
Unix calls are there) seems to compile just fine. Oh yes, run just fine,
also.

josh