name=value or -n value?

Geoff Kuenning geoff at callan.UUCP
Sat Apr 7 12:49:03 AEST 1984

>	It's rather amazing how long an argument can continue over the relative
>	merits of - and + based almost solely on one being shifted on most
>	keyboards.  People use <, >, !, &, $, etc. all the time with no
>	complaints about shifts. If dealing with a keyboard is *really* that
>	much of a problem, wouldn't it be more appropriate to go to a mouse
>	and menu system?
		- John Quarterman

The problem is that switch indicators and argument separators are typed much
more often than <, >, !, &, $, etc.  I can notice a definite speed difference
when I type the aforementioned characters (< and > are faster because they at
least don't require major hand motions even though they are shifted).  I don't
mind this with a character I type once per command at most like < and &, but
I mind it a lot with characters like the argument separator or the switch
indicator, which I type a lot more.

As to the mouse suggestion, I can only say "hear, hear".  What I *REALLY* want
(I think, I haven't tried it) is a two-handed chord keyboard where one or
even both chord keyboards are mounted on a mouse.  Then I could have the best
of all worlds.

	Geoff Kuenning
	Callan Data Systems
	...!ihnp4!sdcrdcf!trwrb!wlbr!callan!geoff

Vax?  Is that a 68000 with the bytes going the other way?