4.2BSD Inter-process Communication

dck at aplvax.UUCP dck at aplvax.UUCP
Wed Apr 18 00:40:13 AEST 1984

	We have recently obtained a copy of ULTRIX-32 (tm) (DEC's
version of Berkeley 4.2) here at the Applied Physics Lab, and
I have been trying to learn the new IPC features provided in it.
I've written some test programs to play around with it and
have had problems getting it to work. Specifically, my
problem is simply in making a connection between to unrelated
processes. The 'connect' call made in process A to connect to a
socket in process B returns successfully, yet the accept call
in process B on that socket remains blocked (the connection
is not accepted). A possibly related problem is the fact that
'connect' will return succesfully when it is passed a name
which is not bound to any socket. I may not be naming the socket
properly, and a connection is being made to a non-existent address.
	To make a long story short - I can't seem to find any clues
in the documentation, so I would appreciate it if people out there
could send me some programming examples using 4.2 IPC, or any
helpful suggestions.
	Thanks in advance.

					David Knill
				...seismo!rlgvax!cvl!umcp-cs!aplvax