new kids ask for help

cowan at Udel-Relay.ARPA cowan at Udel-Relay.ARPA
Thu Apr 12 02:53:22 AEST 1984

From:      Ken Cowan <cowan at Udel-Relay.ARPA>

Anne,

	Welcome to net land.  If everyone on your machine is running
Unix software, the justification ought to be easy.  Although I am
not familiar with the internals of Eunice, its slowness should be
attributable to the fact that you have another layer of software
between you and the machine.  In a *native* unix environment,
you talk directly to the operating system for os type things.  In
an Eunice environment, Eunice must interceed for you and ask the
operating system (VMS) for what you want.

	The problem is that there might be a reason that Eunice is
necessary.  It is possible that the machine needs to run software
(most likely proprietary) that is not available to run on Unix and
so must run VMS.  Is so, Eunice is probably there to permit the
VMS machine to communicate with Unix machines in your network.

<FLAME ON>

I happen to like VMS, so I would be careful to choose the operating
system I use based on the avaiablity of the software I need.  I
would not just chuck VMS out the window because it is chic.

<FLAME OFF>

	Good luck.

	Ken