Unpopular product announcement

Dave Martindale dmmartindale at watcgl.UUCP
Tue Aug 7 23:45:31 AEST 1984

My two cents' worth:

I think that "product announcements" are useful and should be encouraged,
in general.  But they should be written as a short technical review of
a product.  I would like to see a very concise description of what the
product is, and what it does better than any existing systems, all in
(say) 15-20 lines, and who I can contact for more information if I'm
really interested.  But keep it short - I am much less likely to read
a 100-line article than a 20-line one.

I do not want to read anything that is written like the typical advertising
blurb, where the real technical content has to be extracted from all of
the glowing words about the product.  I want to know facts, I don't want
to become excited about the product.  (This is directed at product
announcements in general - I didn't read more than a few lines of the
particular article that spawned this discussion.)