Unpopular product announcement

Mats Wichmann mats at dual.UUCP
Sun Aug 5 01:33:26 AEST 1984

I posted an article negative to the posting of announcements in general.
While I still feel *personally* that such postings are out of place
(and certainly don't belong in net.sources - sorry I didn't notice this
was in the newsgroups line when I followed up, so my comment went there too),
the overall sentiment seems to be a bit against me. The conclusions I
come to are that
  a) Make it sound like an announcement, not a commercial
  b) Don't send it to groups that get onto ARPA - it is a nono there
  c) Keep it failry short
  d) Pick the right newsgroup
I can't tell people how to pick the right newsgroup - perhaps the right
solution would be to have a set of guidlines agreed on by some reasonable
majority of the net (like, 3% or so), and checked with administrative
types who might conceivably have objections, and then have articles containing
product announcements submitted to a moderator who would check that the
content conformed to the guidlines (I know, it sounds like more censorship).
This is probably not practical, but....

	    Mats Wichmann
	    Dual Systems Corp.
	    ...{ucbvax,amd,ihnp4,cbosgd,decwrl,fortune}!dual!mats