grep is not broken

harris at imsvax.UUCP harris at imsvax.UUCP
Tue Aug 21 03:36:27 AEST 1984

To all those who answered my question is grep broken, thank you but enough
is enough. I have been inundated with mail on the subject.
I KNOW that grep is not broken. When I posted the article I accidently
left out the '^' in the command. I had tried numerous variations including
grep '^am.le' /usr/dict/words which yielded among other words 'ampule'.
Obviously I thought that was an error. That was what I meant when I wrote
that grep had returned a word that was too long. The next day when I logged
in again and tried the same grep command. Grep worked correctly and did not
return 'ampule'. I do not think this is a figment of my imagination since
two witnesses saw the same response. There is of course the possibility of
gremlins in the VAX. Although I do not know the exact cause of the problem
I believe it is related to other strange results I have seen in 'vi'.
The problems are generated when I use 'cu' to connect from our local VAX
running 4.2 to a remote VAX running 4.1. The solution I have found is to
reset the terminal, a VT100, and to reinitialize the shell. I have not had
the time to investigate the exact cause of the problem.
--
		Harris Reavin

UUCP:	{umcp-cs!eneevax || seismo!rlgvax!elsie}!imsvax!harris