grep is not broken

Geoff Kuenning geoff at callan.UUCP
Sun Aug 26 11:49:41 AEST 1984

Poor Harris.  The Republicans taught us about the power of missing commas;
he now has the misfortune of teaching us about the power of missing
uparrows.  :-)

It sounds to me like he is having terminal/line noise problems.  Most of the
time, when I think I've seen a program misbehave with perfectly normal
input, a history listing shows inserted control characters, or hidden printing
characters from backspacing over a control characters.

When is USG going to provide us with a *modern* tty driver that understands
that, in most situations, people who type control characters want to see
SOME sort of echo so they know what they typed?  It's enough to make me buy
a Vax so I can run the BSD tty driver.  (Anybody got an extra 140K in spare
change?)
--

	Geoff Kuenning
	Callan Data Systems