VME based UNIX? Wanted.

Karl Danz karl at cygnet.CYGNETSYSTEMS
Sun Dec 30 14:06:14 AEST 1984

> Does anyone out there know of any VME based UNIX systems?

We have a couple of Motorola VME/10 systems running their
System V UNIX port (distributed by AT&T).  They're not real fast
(30 seconds to compile "hello world" program), but they work.

The system is 68010 based and uses the 68451 MMU (natch).

They sell two basic models: one has a 15 Megabyte Winchester and
the other (new) one has a 40 MB disk.  There are five full-width,
and four half-width, unused VME slots available.  The base system
comes with 384K RAM; memory can be added in increments of 256K,
512K, 1M or 2M.  The RAM cards are full-width.  (They are really
shipping the 2 Meg card -- we have one, and it works.)

You can add a "dual serial port" card (half-width, but two slots)
and plug in two terminals (or a terminal and a line to your VAX).
It's a multi-user system, but you'll want to be the only user.

We have had only a few minor problems, such as being forced to
use a low baud rate (2400) on the line to the VAX -- this is
apparetnly due to the disk driver polling instead of being
interrupt driven, and Motorola is looking into this for us.
They are supportive and helpful.  They should be; the VME/10
ain't cheap.

					Karl Danz
					Cygnet Systems
					...hplaps!cygnet!karl