Marketing Unix - (nf)

jab at uokvax.UUCP jab at uokvax.UUCP
Mon Jul 16 08:06:00 AEST 1984

#R:research:-103400:uokvax:6100037:000:944
uokvax!jab    Jul 15 17:06:00 1984

/***** uokvax:net.unix / pegasus!cmf /  5:30 pm  Jul 10, 1984 */

TO Erik E Fair,
I have not personally used BSD unix so I can't make any speed claims,
BUT how upward compatable is 4.1 to 4.2??
All AT&T BTL Unix's are upward compatable.
Chuck Fingerman
pegasus!cmf
/* ---------- */

Oh, really? No, more accurately, "all versions of System V attempt to
be upward-compatible." Ask a person who wrote a program using the "dbm"
library from V7 how compatible V7 was with System V, where it isn't there.
Ask a System III RJE user (who used the 2770 protocol to talk to an IBM,
if he wanted) if System III is compatible with System V (which uses an
incompatible protocol with no 2770 capibilities whatsoever).

At this point in time, System V is trying to be compatible with new versions
of System V. Period.

Before submitting a cocky response like yours, check the facts and wording,
before someone else does it for you.

	Jeff Bowles
	Lisle, IL