using tellabs equipment

Phil Ngai phil at amd70.UUCP
Wed Jun 13 08:36:36 AEST 1984

I've been trying to use a piece of Tellabs equipment with a 750
running 4.1 BSD. (331, if I recall) The first connection I make
is fine but sometimes if I close the connection and try again,
I seem to get no response. The person who installed it said
the Tellabs wanted to see DTR drop and come up, so I turned on
the HUPCL mode and that helped, but not always. He then said
the VAX wasn't holding DTR down long enough.

I talked to someone at Tellabs and he suggested using the soft
carrier. He also had a hack to dh.c which always left the
modem control lines on. He thought the problem was the modem
control lines (like DTR) were being dropped, disabling the Tellabs.
But he also said it was necessary to use stty 0 in one's .logout file.

At this point, I think the guy from Tellabs was confused and
the stty 0 is what fixed his problem. It sounds plausible and
conventional to me that the Tellabs, which should act like a modem,
should want to see DTR drop to close the connection. This is what
I understand stty 0 to do, close the tty file and drop DTR.
It also sounds possible that the VAX doesn't hold down DTR long enough
for the Tellabs to see it.

Since I don't really understand dh.c, does anyone know how to
lengthen the time DTR is down when the tty is closed?

Or if you think my explanation is wrong, let me know. Thanks.

<EOF>
--
Phil Ngai (408) 982-6825 {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra,intelca}!amd70!phil