use of Kernighan and Pike for 4.2bsd

HEDRICK at RUTGERS.ARPA HEDRICK at RUTGERS.ARPA
Wed Jun 13 12:16:44 AEST 1984

From:  Charles Hedrick <HEDRICK at RUTGERS.ARPA>

I have looked at various Unix introductions.  I agree with the concensus
that Kernighan and Pike appears to be the best of the lot.  However it
is done for version 7.  As we are on a Pyramid, we have a choice between
4.2bsd and System V.  We will probably set up most of our students to
use the 4.2 side, and probably will use csh as the default shell.  (There
are fairly good reasons for this: (1) One of the major pieces of software
we are going to use is the Berkeley VLSI design aids.   This biases
me towards using 4.2.  (2) Our users are coming from Tops-20.  Thus they
are all used to having a shell that handles multiple processes.  This
biases me towards using csh.)  Anyway, the question is: does anyone have
a handout to go with Kernighan and Pike for use with 4.2 and/or csh?  I
have tried the examples in the first chapter, and it seems that most of
them work.  However there are obviously minor divergences.  I guess I
can try to find somebody to go through the book and try everything, or
assume that our students are bright enough to handle minor problems.
But I would like to have some idea of the magnitude of incompatibilities
I am going to run into.  Are they serious enough to make the book
useless?  In particular, will a chapter on system calls that is based on
7 be useful with 4.2?
-------