use of Kernighan and Pike for 4.2bsd

gwyn at BRL-VLD.ARPA gwyn at BRL-VLD.ARPA
Sun Jun 17 10:38:16 AEST 1984

From:      Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn at BRL-VLD.ARPA>

The main problem you will have with adapting the shell scripts in
Kernighan and Pike to use the cshell is that I/O of a control statement
cannot be redirected in csh.  There are scripts in the book that depend
on this facility.  Why encourage the use of csh for shell scripts when
you can use the Bourne shell even on 4.2BSD?  I.e., modify every Bourne
shell script to begin with the line
	#!/bin/sh
and your scripts will use the Bourne shell even when invoked by a cshell
user.