4.2bsd on a VAX/730 ???

richl at daemon.UUCP richl at daemon.UUCP
Tue Jun 26 17:37:40 AEST 1984

Not only can it be done, but we did it without a tape drive! (We had a
bare-bones 730). We use the rdump and rrestore heavily. It is on
ethernet.

However, the load average jumps to 1 the instant somebody logs on. It
took 3 hrs to compile a kernel in single user (takes maybe 25 minutes
on a 780, for those of you without source licenses). It does not seem
real useful as a any-user machine. It might be of some use as a daemon
machine: network, mail, or news gateway, printer server, something like
that. Maybe as a single user machine.

Rick Lindsley
richl at tektronix
...!{allegra,ihnp4,decvax}!tektronix!richl