4.2bsd on a VAX/730 ???

dan at SRI-TSC.ARPA dan at SRI-TSC.ARPA
Wed Jun 27 07:40:00 AEST 1984

From:  Dan Chernikoff <dan at SRI-TSC.ARPA>

We are running 4.2BSD on two VAX 11/730's.  They are basically a one- or
two-user machine.  VERY SLOW.  Not much disk in the default versions.
Whatever you do, do NOT get the dual-rl02 version!  Get the r80, both
for speed and disk space.   We are running with only 1 Mb of memory --
hopefully it performs better with 2M.  To give you an idea of how slow it is,
it takes us about 30 seconds to log in.  I tracked the speed problem down
to where login runs the crypt subroutine.  Takes about 20 seconds to encrypt
a password string (sigh)!

	-Dan