ksh as /bin/sh - (nf)

adm at cbneb.UUCP adm at cbneb.UUCP
Thu Jun 21 04:24:06 AEST 1984

#R:druxh:-77000:cbnap:27300003:000:684
cbnap!whp    Jun 20 13:30:00 1984

>  While we have not installed "ksh" as "/bin/sh", setting the
>  variable "SHELL" in the environment simulates this.  We noted that
>  the performance of "make" was seriously affected (~20%) because every
>  time "make" started "ksh", "ksh" read in the startup file (set in "ENV").

What do you keep in the $ENV file??  It should be used for aliases, setting
the prompt, and not much else.  These type of operations execute very
fast, since the're built into ksh (alias for example).  Prehaps your
problem is that you have too much stuff in the $ENV file that could be put
elsewhere (i.e., .profile).  We have been using ksh for some time, and
have not noticed any performance drop.