Where's the (c) on unix?

rcd at opus.UUCP rcd at opus.UUCP
Fri Mar 30 15:42:53 AEST 1984

<>
The copyright notice for UNIX (a trademark of Bell Laboratories), and
appurtenant legal ramifications of it, are contained in the license
agreement.  If your site is licensed to have source code, and if you are
permitted access to that source code, you should have been made aware of
the legal implications of that access.  If you haven't, it's the fault of
the administrator or other responsible party at your site.  If you're
trying to get your site administrator in deep trouble by claiming that you
don't know about the restrictions on UNIX source code, I suspect you're off
to a good start, since notifying you is his responsibility.

Why is this posted to net.flame as well???  <<FLAME ON>>  Why do a few
people insist on trying to dodge the various protections of copyright,
trademark, patent, etc.?  Is it so galling to respect someone's (or some
organization's) right to his(their) discoveries/inventions/creations?  Are
you so jealous of the creative/active people?  I think that it would be
nice if we could at least realize that the base of the software that 95+%
of us are running in order to exchange these views wouldn't be out in the
big world if somebody couldn't make enough money on it to make the
distribution worthwhile.  Unless you've ever had to write a PROCEDURE DIVISION
or type a long string of DD statements as part of making your living, you
probably can't appreciate just how big a step UNIX really is.  <<FLAME

More basically, it would have been reasonable to ask, "Why don't I see the
copyright notice on UNIX source code modules?" instead of claiming that,
since the notice isn't there, no copyright protection should exist.
--
{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd