Where's the (c) on unix?

David Fiedler dave at infopro.UUCP
Sun Mar 25 14:34:22 AEST 1984

<munch!>

I may as well put my two cents' worth in. Something that's been bugging me
for awhile is this: let's say you work in various jobs where you have
access to UNIX (tm) source code, then find yourself in a new company with
binary license only. You are now in a quasi-legal limbo. You are not
allowed to go to any public seminars where a source license is a
prerequisite for attending, even though you might have done kernel hacks,
device drivers, and everything else at your old positions.

While I don't advocate that people carry copies of source from job to job
(which is patently illegal or at least dangerous), there could be some
mechanism set up so that people in this position won't have to find
themselves out in the cold: a guru one day, and an outcast the next.
"That's the biz, sweetheart..."
          Dave Fiedler
{harpo,astrovax,philabs}!infopro!dave