Adventure in UNIX commands - ksh - (nf)

obrien%rand-unix at sri-unix.UUCP obrien%rand-unix at sri-unix.UUCP
Sat Mar 10 03:35:00 AEST 1984

From:  Michael_OBrien <obrien at rand-unix>

	Guy is right.  Binary-ONLY distributions are a very disturbing
tendency in AT&T's approach to the UNIX market.

	I can categorically state that despite our need for something like
this technology, The Rand Corporation will never purchase 5620 ("BLIT")
terminals as long as their support software is available in binary-only
form.

	I could never recommend that any organization with software
maintenance responsibility in the UNIX marketplace buy such a binary-only
package.  If this is typical of AT&T's thinking in the deregulated UNIX
marketplace, I take it as a very bad sign.