Adventure in UNIX commands - ksh - (nf)

Guy Harris guy at rlgvax.UUCP
Tue Mar 6 14:45:00 AEST 1984

>> I'm sure that everyone can agree that the korn shell rules!
>> Too bad that it is only available inside of AT&T, eh?

>> andy ihuxf!schnable

> Consider this a stuffy disclaimer. This news group is NOT for discussion
> of AT&T internal products, nor should it be. It is a general forum for
> people running Unix and Unix-like systems, and no information should be
> submitted to this group that shouldn't go to those people.

> The Korn shell is something that is an AT&T program that hasn't been
> announced to the "commericial marketplace". It's not your responsibility to
> announce it.

That wasn't an "announcement", it was merely a statement of the existence
(and superiority) of the Korn shell.  Dave Korn described that shell in
a paper *given at a USENIX*, so it's hardly appropriate to chastise the
man for revealing the secrets of the Knights of the Mystic AT&T Order
Lodge.  We all know about it, so "stuffy disclaimers" don't fool anybody.
However, I am sorely tempted to try turning the S5R2 shell into a Korn
shell once we get it; if AT&T wants to "set the standards" they're not going
to do it by holding back software and shipping out binary-only releases that
work only with their blessed and approved version of UNIX (e.g. the TTY 5620
code).

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy