Getting piped input to output

B Weber benw at pyuxn.UUCP
Tue Mar 6 01:58:30 AEST 1984

	Is there any way under UNIX (5.0 USG) to pipe input to a program
(F77, in this case) to a prompt driven program so that the
output will show the answers to the prompts in the right places?

An example:  Our program has a prompt like
                 ENTER YOUR OPTION (1-4):
where the online user would type the number 1 to 4.  Of course, the
number would appear at the terminal when typed in.  When we use
a canned script, though, through a pipe, for instance
                 cat script | myprog > outfile
the prompt message appears but the option number that is in the
file script will NOT appear in the output.  Playing with things
like tee has gotten the input values to appear on the output,
but not in the right places.
	Though this problem looks more trivial every time I look
at it, the solution has eluded us for quite some time.  Since we
are using DIFF to compare the output from a similar program on another
system (non-unix) that DOES show the input, this problem is driving
our system testers crazy.  Any help would be appreciated.

						Ben Weber
						pyuxn!benw or pyuxtt!benw