DIFFERENCES BETWEEN S5 and 4.2?

John Quarterman jsq at ut-sally.UUCP
Mon Mar 5 09:48:27 AEST 1984

Uh, thanks, I think.  We've already gotten a couple of requests referring
to your posting.  Here is the usual canned distribution comment:

	To answer a frequently asked question:  The paper "UNIX System V
	and 4.1C BSD" by John Chambers and John Quarterman is marked

		(c) Copyright 1983 by the Regents of the University of Texas.

	solely in order to prevent its sale by anyone other than the USENIX
	Association. The paper may be distributed free of cost in any quantity
	by any means and by any entity so long as the whole paper, in one of
	the forms originally distributed by John Chambers and John Quarterman,
	including the copyright notice, is distributed. Properly attributed
	quotations in reviews and other papers are of course also permitted.

	The paper is available in the Proceedings of the Summer 1983 USENIX
	Conference, by anonymous FTP as compare.doc from ut-sally.ARPA,
	by UUCP from ut-sally.UUCP and several other UUCP sites, and by
	US Mail from the authors so long as the requests are not excessive.

To use anonymous ftp, connect with ftp to ut-sally, login as anonymous,
password guest, and get compare.doc.  The authors are no longer associated
with utexas-11 (which is now known as ut-ngp, anyway), but rather with
ut-sally (which happens to be the VAX-11/780 referred to in the paper).

There is no 4.2/V paper, though the state of 4.2 at the time of writing
(not precisely the same as that finally distributed) is referenced in the
4.1C/V one.  There will probably be an update for that (and errata) at the
Utah USENIX.  We may also do a performance-only paper for that USENIX
(VAX versions of 4.2/V or 4.2/V.2).

We would *much* prefer not to have to mail out individual copies
to everyone in the world:  get it from your neighbor if you can.
If there is really a lot of demand we can post it to net.sources again.

Current addresses:
			John Chambers		John Quarterman
ARPANET/MILNET:		jbc at ut-sally		jsq at ut-sally
CSNET:			jbc at ut-sally		jsq at ut-sally
UUCP:			ihnp4!ut-sally!jbc	ihnp4!ut-sally!jsq

	(UNIX is a trademark of Bell Labs.  VAX is a trademark of DEC.)
--
John Quarterman, CS Dept., University of Texas, Austin, Texas
jsq at ut-sally.ARPA, jsq at ut-sally.UUCP, {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!jsq