Xenix & crypt

karn at petrus.UUCP karn at petrus.UUCP
Fri Apr 5 10:03:30 AEST 1985

If DES is so sensitive, then why was the algorithm published in
the Federal Register? How about all of the books that have been written
on cryptography in the past ten years that include sections on DES?
How about Scientific American, which has carried articles on Feistel
ciphers and public key systems? Or do you need an export license to subscribe
to it overseas?

I thought the rules applied only to hardware, e.g., DES chips.
But then again I wouldn't expect logic and reason to apply to an
administration that seizes chess playing machines, but says
that it will "give away" our Star Wars technology to the Russkies.

Phil