Help with termcap file (with optimizations)

Bill Wohler ccrbillw at ucdavis.UUCP
Thu Apr 25 15:54:56 AEST 1985

> Help! I can't seem to find the information I need to use my own termcap file
> instead of the default one in /etc/termcap.What I want to do is use a modified
> file in my home directory for a Televideo 950 but can't seem to get the info
> I need to do this. ANY info would help.
>
> 						thanx
> 						stoner at qumix
> 						David A. Stone
> 						Qume Corp.
> 						San Jose,Calif.

R. Kevin Laux from ATTIS Lincroft replies:    	(for the Bourne shell world)

> 	Set your environment variable TERMCAP to the pathname to the
> file in your directory, ie. TERMCAP=/usr/.../tv950.  Then you must
> export it, ie. export TERMCAP.

>	You didn't specify which version of UNIX you are using.  Newer
> versions may use TERMINFO (ala SVR2), so beware.

Dave Tweten from AMES-NAS replies:		(for the rest of us)

>	setenv TERMCAP ~/termcap

i use the file .termcap so i do not have to look at it at every `ls`.

after setting the TERMCAP variable you can do this:

tset -s -Q - -m ':?tv950' > /tmp/t$$; source /tmp/t$$; /bin/rm /tmp/t$$

this puts the actual termcap string for the televideo in the TERMCAP
variable to make for faster vi startups.  note:  substitute the
`source` with `/bin/csh -f` if you are not using csh.  another note:
a friend wrote another version of `printenv` (`set` for Bourne) that
will prettyprint control characters.  otherwise the TERMCAP entry
may screw up your terminal every time you look at your environment
variables.

a word from the wise(r):  i had my own termcap file for a while that
was originally from /etc/termcap.  some of the entries had massive
bugs in them and i ran around with a defective termcap file long after
the bugs were fixed in /etc/termcap. we have a couple of versions
of the same terminal, one of them shows the effects of the bug,
the other doesn't (which is the one i use and why i did not notice).

ttfn

ps.  UC Davis has only recently got on the net.  i believe this is UCD's
     first appearance. thus, i wish you all a warm hello.

				...{ucbvax,dual}!ucdavis!vega!ccrbillw
				ucbvax!ucdavis!vega!ccrbillw at Berkele