Is anybody *USING* ANSI tapes on UNIX (label handling)

Herb Chong [DCS] herbie at watdcsu.UUCP
Sun Apr 14 08:12:49 AEST 1985

In article <533 at spp2.UUCP> jhull at spp2.UUCP (Jeff Hull) writes:
>In article <504 at sal.UUCP> jf at sal.UUCP (Johan Finnved) writes:
>>Possible implementation suggestions:
>>
>>... It starts by
>>rewinding the tape and checking its volume label in order to make sure
>>that this user (real uid) has really the right to use this tape. ...
>>Does anybody have ideas on what to put in the fields for Owner
>>Identifier (in VOL1 lables), Accessibility  (In VOL1 and HDR1-EOV1-EOF1
>>labels) and System Code (in HDR1-EOV1-EOF1 labels) ?
>
>Just be sure that, for those cases when I take my tape to your site, I
>can read & write to my tape without requiring recourse to superuser
>capabilities.  (The loginid & userid probably will be different.  Very
>often, my userid on my system will be assigned to someone else on
>your system.)
>
>--
> Blessed Be,
>
> Jeff Hull            {decvax,hplabs,ihnp4,scdrdcf,ucbvax}
> 13817 Yukon Ave.         trwrb!trwspp!spp2!jhull
> Hawthorne, CA 90250		34o3'15" N  by  118o14'28" W

most places i know map the tape volume identification to an owner
on the system that is being used on and the tape access routines verify
permissions before opening the tape file as in regular disk file
permission checking.  this requires an online tape registry and a method
for the owner to change permissions on the tape.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu at waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet at csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie at watdcs, herbie at watdcsu