Is anybody *USING* ANSI tapes on UNIX (label handling)

Jeff Hull jhull at spp2.UUCP
Thu Apr 11 06:09:47 AEST 1985

In article <504 at sal.UUCP> jf at sal.UUCP (Johan Finnved) writes:
>Possible implementation suggestions:
>
>... It starts by
>rewinding the tape and checking its volume label in order to make sure
>that this user (real uid) has really the right to use this tape. ...
>Does anybody have ideas on what to put in the fields for Owner
>Identifier (in VOL1 lables), Accessibility  (In VOL1 and HDR1-EOV1-EOF1
>labels) and System Code (in HDR1-EOV1-EOF1 labels) ?

Just be sure that, for those cases when I take my tape to your site, I
can read & write to my tape without requiring recourse to superuser
capabilities.  (The loginid & userid probably will be different.  Very
often, my userid on my system will be assigned to someone else on
your system.)

--
 Blessed Be,

 Jeff Hull            {decvax,hplabs,ihnp4,scdrdcf,ucbvax}
 13817 Yukon Ave.         trwrb!trwspp!spp2!jhull
 Hawthorne, CA 90250		34o3'15" N  by  118o14'28" W