DECNET and UNIX

Goeke at MIT-MULTICS.ARPA Goeke at MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Tue Apr 9 00:24:57 AEST 1985

          I'm not sure of the validity of this gedanken experiment, but
her goes.  I've been asked if a) some bodies in my group bought a VAX of
some flavor and b) put some version of UNIX on it could c) other persons
in the universe who already have VAXen running VMS communiccate with us
using DECNET?  The motivation is to have the outside world be able to
access our data files in some regular fashion.  I could conceive of a
process running under UNIX which made us look like a DECNET node; I
could also conceive of the VMS machines doing a complementary thing.

          Surely someone has addressed this problem.  The folks who
asked the question only want to know a) if the job can be done and b)
what the magnitude of the task is.  Details can wait.  Please reply
direct; I can always summarize if circumstances demand.

                                        Bob Goeke
                                          [ Goeke @ MIT-Multics.ARPA ]
                                        MIT Center for Space Research
                                        Cambridge, MA  02139