handling idle user jobs (logins)

King Ables ables at mcc-db.UUCP
Tue Apr 9 07:16:34 AEST 1985

[Episode 3: R2-D2 meets the Daleks]

Does anyone out there try to throw away inactive users (4.2)?.  And I mean
having something like cron check for idle time >1hr or so.  Having
another machine, such as a port contention machine (read: MICOM), do
it is unacceptable.  I want my CPU to take care of it itself.

Actually idle users aren't much of a problem on the machine in question,
however, when someone wants to run a benchmark on an up-but-empty machine
(say on a Sunday) and there are some inactive users (from the previous
Friday), it would be nice to have a way to throw them away.  I'm even
considering a program a user could run to throw away idle user jobs that
a non-superuser could run so it would only have to happen when someone
needed it to rather than automatically.

Anybody doing anything like either of these ideas right now? Please
respond via mail.

-King
ARPA: ables at mcc
UUCP: {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!mcc-db!ables