What does \"rc\" stand for?

Rob Warnock rpw3 at redwood.UUCP
Fri Apr 5 12:15:43 AEST 1985

+---------------
| > "rc" stands for "RunCom", i.e. Command to Run a packaged job.
| > ...do NOT rehash this worn-out topic yet another time!  Thanks.
| You're welcome but... SOME of us are new here, and we would
| like to know some of these interesting little tidbits of info.
+---------------

(*sigh*)

Yes, you're new, and that is NOT a crime. (Even *I* was new once... ;-} )

The "crime" is that your news administrator (or if you are the news
administrator at your site, the admin at the site which feeds you)
did not tell you about the newsgroup "net.announce.newusers", in which
EVERY MONTH are RE-posted articles with just such "useful tidbits",
including one called "Frequently Asked Questions..." which just happens
to have the answer to the "rc" question.

Several people put a lot of work into creating and updating the new
user info. After reading it, if you feel something wasn't explained
well enough, try sending them (mark, chuq, spaf, etc.) mail with
specific suggestions for improvement (not just negative criticism,
please, they get enough of that!). Who knows? They may post YOUR
version next month...

Administrators should probably hand a printed paper copy of the
"net.announce.newusers" stuff to each user on the system as part
of assigning them a login I.D., but many (most?) don't.

Repeat: This is NOT a flame [Note#1] at YOU. It IS a flame at your admin...

[Note#1: Oddly enough, none of the "net.announce.newusers" stuff has
a definition for "flame". (It means "rant & rave with strong opinion" --
approximately -- keep reading the net for more examples and subtleties.)]

Rob Warnock
Systems Architecture Consultant

UUCP:	{ihnp4,ucbvax!dual}!fortune!redwood!rpw3
DDD:	(415)572-2607
USPS:	510 Trinidad Lane, Foster City, CA  94404