Limiting logons to licensed number: how?

Lars Hammarstrand lasse at daab.UUCP
Tue Aug 6 06:48:56 AEST 1985

>That's a good point.  In our new VENIX version, we've tried to
>ease this problem through a new command called "ttystate" which
>can be used to quickly enable and disable login lines.  The
>approach which you seem to suggest would involve automatic
>dynamic enabling and disabling of login lines.  Although this
>seems feasible, I think it could be quite confusing for users
>attempting to log in on a line which is sometimes available and
>sometimes not.  The "ttystate" command has the virtue of being
>simple and deterministic.
>

>Paul Kleppner
>VenturCom, Inc.
>{harvard,mit-eddie}!cybvax0!vcvax1!paul

I hope that you are using the "run level field" in /etc/inittab and the
"telinit" command indirect via your "ttystate" command, becauce that is what it
is should be used for, switching tty lines on and off I mean.

It's the second field in /etc/inittab, and the following arguments serve as
directives to the "telinit" command that changes the run level and what lines
that should be on or off (From the manual) :

0-6	tells "init" to place the system in one of the "run-levels" 0 - 6.
	(one of the diggits 0-6)
a,b,c	tells "init" to process only those /etc/inittab file entries having the
	a, b  or c "run-level" set.
Q,q	tells "init" to re-examine the /etc/inittab file
S,s	tells "init" to enter the single user enviroment. When this level
	change is effected, the the virtual system teletype, "/dev/syscon", is
	change to the terminal from which the command was executed.

(Telinit command is used to direct the actions of "init" and can only be run by
someone who is superuser or a member of group: sys)

	My name: Lars Hammarstrand.
	My company: Datorisering AB,  SWEDEN.

	UUCP:	{seismo,decvax,philabs}!mcvax,ukc,unido!enea!daab!lasse
	ARPA:	decvax!mcvax!enea!daab!lasse at berkley.arpa