Limiting logons to licensed number: how?

paul paul at vcvax1.UUCP
Sat Aug 10 06:03:20 AEST 1985

> >That's a good point.  In our new VENIX version, we've tried to
> >ease this problem through a new command called "ttystate" which
> >can be used to quickly enable and disable login lines.

> I hope that you are using the "run level field" in /etc/inittab and the
> "telinit" command indirect via your "ttystate" command, becauce that
> is what it should be used for, switching tty lines on and off I mean.

Absolutely!  In fact, the "ttystate" command is just a shell
script that edits /etc/inittab and runs the telinit command,
after checking that someone is not logged in on the line.
It has a few other options too.

I would be willing to post a copy to net.sources if there
is enough interest.  Although ttystate was written for
VENIX System V, it should run under any UNIX System V.
It is much easier and more reliable than enabling/disabling
login lines "by hand."

Paul Kleppner
VenturCom, Inc.
{harvard,mit-eddie}!cybvax0!vcvax1!paul