unix file system

jack at boring.UUCP jack at boring.UUCP
Tue Aug 6 05:13:09 AEST 1985

In article <95 at cithep.UucP> tim at cithep.UucP (Tim Smith ) writes:
>This is not really relevent, but I have sometimes thought that instead of
>offsets in a file starting at zero, they should start at some negative
>number, possibly specified in the inode.  When you open the file you start
>at zero.  The only way to get the data before zero would be an explicit seek.
>
>This "negative region" could be used for things like the a.out header for
>executable files, the #!/bin/sh for shell scripts ( note that there is no
>need for the prog to recognize # as a comment character ), or information
>on record sizes for files that were brought from another system or produced
>by a record oriented language ( although it would still be up to user mode
>code to actually interpret this; let's leave the kernel out of this. ).
>--
>					Tim Smith
>				ihnp4!{wlbr!callan,cithep}!tim

This looks better than a special 'file attribute', since you don't
need funny system calls, etc, but it still has the problem
that you have to re-write almost any unix-utility in existence.

If I do 'cp a.out foobar', I would prefer the header to be copied
--
	Jack Jansen, jack at mcvax.UUCP
	The shell is my oyster.