Network differences (CERN)

D Gary Grady dgary at ecsvax.UUCP
Wed Dec 18 02:25:10 AEST 1985

In article <173 at bnl.UUCP> myers at bnl.UUCP (Eric Myers) writes:
[Quoting another posting]
>> Incidentaly, The network commonly called BITNET is really three networks..
>> BITNET (US), NORTHNET (Canada), and CERN (Europe).  (I think).
>
>CERN is not a computer network, it is a physics laboratory in Geneva,
>Switzerland. . .
>And it just so happens that CERN is on BITNET.

Actually, the other posting was making a stab in the right direction.
It's BITNET in the US, NETNORTH in Canada, and EARN (European Academic
and Research Network) in Europe.  I've also heard the European arm
called EARNET, perhaps because of the rabbits they used to have in the
tunnels at Desy (these bunnies had PhDs - I knew one).
--
D Gary Grady
Duke U Comp Center, Durham, NC  27706