Network differences (CERN)

Eric Myers myers at bnl.UUCP
Sat Dec 7 01:27:54 AEST 1985

> Incidentaly, The network commonly called BITNET is really three networks..
> BITNET (US), NORTHNET (Canada), and CERN (Europe).  (I think).

CERN is not a computer network, it is a physics laboratory in Geneva,
Switzerland. The name is a French acronym for Conseil Europe'en pour la
Recherche Nucle'aire (in English, "European Organization for Nuclear
Research"). The laboratory is funded by twelve European countires,
and currently has the largest particle accelerator in the world, the
Super Proton Synchrotron (SPS).  Two years ago physicists using the SPS
at CERN discovered the W and Z-0 intermediate vector bosons predicted
by the Weinberg-Salam-Glashow model of the weak interactions, which
proved that the weak and electromagnetic forces are actually unified
in a common "electroweak" force.

And it just so happens that CERN is on BITNET.

--
Eric Myers,  Physics Dept., Brookhaven National Laboratory, Lon Guyland, NY
             myers at bnl.arpa / myers at bnl.bitnet / ...philabs!sbcs!bnl!myers

"And so we're told this is the Golden Age...
       Gold is the reason for the wars we wage."