S and M4

Faculty perry at vu-vlsi.UUCP
Mon Dec 2 14:55:24 AEST 1985

In article <67 at brl-tgr.ARPA>, POSER at su-csli.arpa (Bill Poser) writes:

> 	I just tried to install a new (1984) version of S on an 11/750
> running 4.2BSD. The installation procedure aborted when it ran a test to
> see if the version of the M4 macro processor was the one it wanted.

   We recently installed S on our Pyramid 90x system and had to install
the special version of m4 that comes with the S source. My notes on that
say:

   src/m4/makefile changed to install m4 in src/m4 directory;
   adm/cmd/MAKEm4 changed to reference m4 from /u1/s/src/m4/m4
   cmd/makehead M4 symbol set to /u1/s/src/m4/m4

where /u1/s is the S home directory here... you need to do 'make'
in the ~s/src/m4 directory after performing these changes.

...Rick Perry