shell on UNIX

Joe Steffen steffen at ihuxo.UUCP
Tue Dec 10 23:58:51 AEST 1985

> A number of people were interested in knowing what I found out about the
> See-Shell for use on the DMD 5620 terminal.  Apparently this was proposed
> by an engineer at Bell Labs (I have forgotten the name, sorry) back
> in the early 80's.  He wrote up the proposal in memo form and that memo was
> referenced in various other documents.  Unfortunately, his ideas never
> came to fruition, the propasal never went anywhere...  That is too
> bad as judging by the response my simple posting got, it would be a
> best seller among DMD owners.
>
> 				Matt

Logical Software's SoftShell(TM) is the closest I've seen to See-Shell.  It
is a form entry interface to shell commands that will display menus of
options and explanations on request.  You can scroll back through the shell
input and output and re-execute commands (note that emacsterm and viterm
provide this for the DMD).  For more info call Logical Software at
1-617-864-0137 or write to 17 Mt. Auburn St., Cambridge, MA 02138.
--

	Joe Steffen, AT&T Bell Labs, Naperville, IL, (312) 979-5381