Reading Floppies on Fortune 32:16

Barry Gold barryg at sdcrdcf.UUCP
Tue Jan 29 13:44:21 AEST 1985

Does anyone out there have any clues as to how to get a Fortune 32:16
to read a floppy written by another machine (e.g. an IBM PC or lookalike)
so that one can read in a text file.  Currently my only method of
receiving files is by modem, and it would be Highly Convenient if my
friends on the East Coast could send floppies instead for long articles.
Our machine refuses to even open /dev/diskhd02 when confronted by an
alien floppy.

(Aside from that I find the Fortune wonderful.  As a non-hacker/writer
I use the menu system most of the time, venturing only briefly into UNIX.
My systems analyst husband stays mainly in UNIX and occasionally condescends
to use the menu for something he can't be yet bothered to write a
program for.)

Since most of the messages on both net.unix and net.unix.wizards are
considerably over my head, I'd appreciate it greatly if you could send
replies to me personally if you've got any helpful suggestions.  (If they
had a net.unix.beginners, I'd be there participating, but....)

Thank you.

--Lee Gold