Need info on FTP

Larry Afrin lbafrin%clemson.csnet at csnet-relay.arpa
Tue Jan 29 17:57:35 AEST 1985

I'm pretty much of a newcomer to the net (was in "read-only mode" for a long
time before I figured out how to send msgs), and I constantly see announce-
ments of various pieces of software that are avilable from various machines
through FTP, which I take to mean File Transfer Protocol.  I'd love to get
my hands on some of the stuff that's available, but I need to know a couple
of things first: (1) I'm hooked into "the net" through CSNet -- is FTP
available to me, or does it only work on ARPANet (DDN) machines?  (2) Is the
FTP software in the public domain?  And regardless of whether or not it's PD,
how do I get my hands on it?

Thanks for tolerating what may be an asinine message, and my apologies if
this is the wrong list to send this msg to -- I didn't know who else to ask.

Thanks in advance...

					-- Larry Afrin
					   Dept. of Computer Science
					   Clemson University