Speed of read vs. fread

Chris Torek chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Sun Jan 27 13:54:02 AEST 1985

The latest Berkeley C library (which as far as I know is not on any
distribution tapes---in other words, don't bother asking for a new
tape) has optimized fread/fwrite, using bcopy() if necessary, which
runs MUCH faster.  (Put new life into those old programs....)

The big advantage fread/fwrite have is that you don't have to do any
kind of buffering, so that when/if 4.nBSD acquires copy-on-write, true
virtual reads, invisible memory sharing, and all those kind of
performance goodies that make page-aligned exact-size buffers do
wonders for performance, why, all you need to do is recompile....

(But I wouldn't recommend holding your breath. :-) )
--
(This line accidently left nonblank.)

CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris at maryland